Good Day! Here’s today’s summary from Various Nigerian Newspapers.
1. The Supreme Court on Friday dismissed the appeal filed by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its governorship candidate in Ekiti State, Kolapo Olusola-Eleka, challenging the election of Governor Kayode Fayemi of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
A five-man panel of the Supreme Court led by the Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Tanko Muhammad unanimously held that the appeal challenging the outcome of the poll lacked merit.
2. The Katsina State government, on Friday declared stiff penalty for kidnappers and cattle rustlers in the state.
It declared penalty of a death sentence against kidnappers and cattle rustlers in the state.
3. The National Working Committee (NWC) of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has appointed Hon. Victor Giadom as the Party’s acting National Secretary.
Mallam Lanre Issa-Onilu, APC National Publicity Secretary said Giadon will hold the position “pending when Yobe State nominates a replacement for the former National Secretary, Mai Mala Buni, who is the Governor-elect of Yobe State”.
4. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate in the 2018 Ekiti governorship election, Prof Kolapo Olusola Eleka, has congratulated Governor Kayode Fayemi on his victory at the Supreme Court.
He, however, said Fayemi and his party, the All Progressives Congress (APC) knew he was robbed.
5. The British Prime Minister, Theresa May has disclosed that she would step down from office on June 7.
May made the disclosure at Down Street in the United Kingdom, UK, on Friday.
6. The ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, Friday lost its bid to govern Zamfara State for the next four years as the Supreme Court ruled that it did not conduct valid primaries in the 2019 general elections.
Also, the apex court validated the judgement of the Court of Appeal, Sokoto Division, which gave the verdict that no valid primaries were conducted by the APC in Zamfara State.
7. The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has reacted to Friday’s Supreme Court ruling which nullified the victory of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in the last general elections in Zamfara State.
INEC in a statement by Festus Okoye, INEC director of voter education and publicity, said the commission will announce its decision on Zamfara elective positions on Monday.
8. Former Nigeria’s First Lady Patience Jonathan, has told a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos that no one has complained that she stole their money.
The former First Lady asked the court to order the release of the $5.7m and N2.4bn seized from her by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.
9. Nigeria thrashed Qatar 4-0 in their opening game at the ongoing FIFA U-20 World Cup in Poland.
Maxwell Effiom, Henry Offia, Tom Dele-Bashiru and Aliu Salawudeen all scored as the Flying Eagles won convincingly at the Stadion Miejski Tychach, Tychy.
10. The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, 2019 presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar has reacted to the Friday’s Supreme Court ruling nullifying All Progressive Congress, APC, victory in the last Zamfara State governorship election.
Abubakar described the verdict of the apex court as a victory for the rule of law.