Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. President Muhammadu Buhari may not return to Nigeria on Sunday, May 5 as expected. This is reportedly due to health complications. The report has it that the President is extending his stay on doctors’ advice. Buhari had travelled to the United Kingdom on April 25 and was expected back in the country within 10 days.
2. The Acting Inspector General of Police, IGP, Mohammed Adamu on Friday disclosed that the leadership of Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria, MACBAN, has agreed to work with the police. Adamu disclosed that Fulani leaders under the umbrella of MACBAN agreed to support the police in flushing out bandits in Kebbi State and other parts of Northern Nigeria.
3. A former Governor of Sokoto State, Attahiru Dalhatu Bafarawa, has alleged that governors have been cashing on the growing spate of insecurity across Nigeria to inflate their security votes. Bafarawa said this while corroborating the recent claim by the Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mr. Ibrahim Magu, that governors have used insecurity to get more money for their private use. Bafarawa spoke in Abuja, at a press conference.
4. There was confusion on Friday as Gen. Yakubu Gowon, a former Nigerian Head of State slumped during the oration at the graveside of the late Maj.Gen. David Akpodiete Ejoor in Ovwor-Olomu community, Ughelli South Local Government Area of Delta State. The former Head of State was rushed by some top echelons of the military into a special tent for emergency resuscitation just as Governor Arthur Ifeanyi Okowa and Chief James Onanefe Ibori, former Governor of the Delta State dashed into the tent to ensure he recovers. He, however, recovered at the end.
5. The Anglican Diocese of Aguata in Anambra State has asked Anambra State Governor, Willie Obiano to tender an unreserved apology to Ndigbo for allegedly insulting the National President of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Chief John Nnia Nwodo, in the run-up to the last general elections. The church also demanded an apology from the Governor over what it termed open support for President Muhammadu Buhari’s reelection during the electioneering campaign.
6. The Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) for Akwa Ibom State, Mr Mike Igini, has said that the All Progressives Congress (APC) was economical with the truth by alleging that they have been denied access to materials used for the last governorship election in the state. According to him, the APC leaders were deceiving the public to gain sympathy and also get federal appointments.
7. Head coach of the Super Eagles, Gernot Rohr, has said that he was ready to welcome Victor Moses back to the national team but insisted he will not “kneel” to have him rescind his retirement decision. Rohr, while addressing the media insisted he will not beg Moses to overturn his decision.
8. President Muhammadu Buhari is expected to receive President of the United Nations General Assembly (PGA) Ms Maria Espinosa, who is paying a one-day official visit to Nigeria on Monday. Espinosa’s Spokesperson, Ms Monica Gravley, announced this at a media briefing at the UN headquarters in New York on Friday. According to her, the PGA’s visit to Nigeria is part of her eight-day official trip to Central and West Africa beginning on Friday.
9. A witness of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Nurudeen Bello, Friday told the Federal High Court, sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos how former Managing Director of Nigeria Airspace Management Agency, NAMA, Ibrahim Abdulsalam allegedly looted and laundered N2.8 billion from the agency. Abdulsalam who was arraigned by the anti-graft agency before Justice Babs Kuewumi was also alleged to have converted the whopping sum of money to his personal use.
10. Controversial Nollywood actress, Tonto Dike, has threatened to arrest popular comedian, Funny Bone and take him to prison. Tonto Dike issued the threat on her Instagram page after the comedian uploaded a picture on his page promising to make jokes about her at his event. She warned the comedian to desist from such jokes as she was ready to display her ‘’madness’’ on the day of the show.