Iron Dealers’ Faction Walks Out as Anambra Govt Insists on Jan 1 Relocation Deadline
By Julie Sylvia
A faction of the Iron Dealers Union at the Allied Building Materials Market, Nteje, on December 17 staged a walkout during a meeting with the Special Adviser to Governor Chukwuma Soludo on Trade and Markets, Chief Evaristus Uba, over the state government’s relocation directive.
The group, led by Mr. Uzochukwu Okafor, walked out as Chief Uba reiterated the government’s position that all traders operating along Atani Road and other unapproved locations in Onitsha must relocate fully to the Nteje market on or before January 1, 2026.
Addressing traders at the market’s new site, Chief Uba said his mandate was to clearly communicate government policy, stressing that the Soludo administration would enforce law and order in the markets. He warned that traders who fail to comply would face enforcement actions, including the seizure of goods and vehicles.
He dismissed claims that contributors to land purchase were automatically entitled to shops, explaining that shop allocation was based on financial contribution to construction. He urged anyone with proof of payment without allocation to present such evidence to the government.
Chief Uba noted that the Iron Dealers Union remained the major obstacle to the relocation of eight affected markets, insisting that the deadline remained firm.
Earlier, the Chairman of the Iron Dealers Union, Mr. Evaristus Ejezie, said shops had been constructed and allocated to members who paid approved contributions, adding that a group of 13 aggrieved traders failed to meet payment deadlines despite repeated extensions.
However, Mr. Okafor claimed that his group was allocated land by officials and alleged inconsistencies in directives from government representatives. He said his faction had obtained a court injunction and might pursue legal action.
Also speaking, the market Patron, Chief Linus Ezenkwu, (Nkwubuego) said the dispute dated back to 2015 and urged aggrieved traders to heed earlier advice and embrace resolution.
Despite the disagreement, the state government maintained that the relocation policy would be enforced as part of its urban renewal and market reorganization drive.
There was also presentation of cheques of N200.000 to the three families of their deceased members as their burial rights




