Bishop Crowther Memorial Primary School Dispute Resolution Report


XTRACT FOR BISHOP CROWTHER MEMORIAL PRIMARY SCHOOL FROM THE REPORT OF THE COMMITTEE FOR RESOLUTION OF DISPUTE OVER THE OWNERSHIP OF CERTAIN PRIMARY SCHOOLS BEFORE THE TAKE OVER OF SCHOOLS BY THE GOVERNMENT OF THE THEN EAST CENTRAL STATE IN 1970

Members of the Committee were Hon. Justice G. U. Ononiba – Chairman, Hon. Justice C. E. k. Anigbogu, Chief O. B. Onyali SAN, Monsignor N. C. Obiagba, Barr. Azubike Okeke (Anambra State Director of Public Prosecutions), Barr. Humphrey Udechukwu, Ichie Cyprian Ezeani, Humphrey Umeh and Pastor Azubike Nkala as Secretary. The Committee was inaugurated on 21st February 2012. Their report was submitted to the then Governor Peter Obi on 28th December, 2012, signed by Hon. Justice G. U. Ononiba OON, Committee Chairman and Pastor Azubuike Nkala, Deputy Director Administration, Anambra state, Committee Secretary.

LOCUS inquo showed that Bishop Crowther Memorial Primary School Onitsha is located along the Old Enugu road Which harbours the old Onitsha Zonal Library, the Central Police Station / Police Area Command, and on the approach to the old Eastern Nigerian Produce Department. You will encounter Bishop Crowther Memorial Primary School by the right side or the street before getting to the old Eastern Nigeria Zonal Office of the PED or Works Department, with the Holy Trinity Basilica on the left side of the same street, walled off the same street. It is thus located outside the Basilica of the Most Holy Trinity. It could also be accessed on the left side of the road that harbours the old Onitsha Guest House and now the constellation of structures/ hotels presently called Nkissi Palace Hotels, because the same road borders it, but squatting commercial iron welders have virtually occupied that access into Crowther Primary School. It was found out that this school is an old school of 2 (Nos) L- structured blocks of buildings with rustic corrugated iron roofs and wooden windows. In spite of the recent attempt to renovate it, it was still evident that it is an old primary school. The old sign board inscription on its block was recently defaced with white washed paint but a very close and painstaking observations showed the line of letters which read “Bishop Crowther Memorial Primary School founded 1956” with motto which tended to read “Education for self reliance” or something close to that. That defacing on the wall showed evidence of treachery or intrigue designed to hide the original identity of the school. When contacted, the staff of PWD and produce Department said they don’t know who defaced the signboard on the wall. In front of the school 5 (Nos) standing signboards were erected.

ALSO READ  ‘’Eric Umeofia is a true son of Amichi’’ ---ADU

1. The first one read “Bishop Crowther Memorial Primary School, Onitsha North LGEA, founded 1956. Motto: Education for self reliance”.

2. The second sign board read: Church of Nigeria Anglican Communion, St Simon’s (BCM) church, Diocese on the Niger?

3. The third signboard read “Crowther Memorial Primary School, Onitsha”. This one was newly inserted

4. The 4th One read “Church of Nigeria Anglican communion Diocese on the Niger, St Simon’s BCM Church, Ridge/Old Nkisi Road GRA Onitsha.

5. The 5th Signboard read “Omunwagboka Primary School, Onitsha”. This signboard was just newly installed.

Independent inquiry from landlords and other people confirmed that Crowther Primary school is “an Anglican school built before the war “when all the buildings you see here have not been built all this places were bushes”.

ALSO READ  Anglican Bishops tackle Obiano

Footnote: if you are looking from inside the play ground of Crowther, the imposing Holy Trinity Basilica across the road indicated the signboard of “Trinity Primary / Nursery School, Day Care founded July 1985” right inside the Basilica compound. When one enters inside Basilica en-route to the marine toward the old John Holt Depot by the side of the River Niger, it was discovered that Holy Trinity Primary School founded 1890 situates inside the compound. Also sancta Maria Primary School is located inside the Basilica compound. Within the compound also but located close the wall is Obianazonwu Primary School. Evidence of the inquiry showed that Bishop Crowther Memorial Primary Schools is an Anglican Primary School built in 1956. It should be given to the Anglican Church.

ALSO READ  RE: Bishop Nwokolo & The Rest of us By Rev Chinedu Nnatuanya

CONCLUSION

From the report of the Committee, it shows that Bishop Crowther Memorial Primary School is an Anglican school which they also recommended that the school be handed over to the Anglican but instead of the current governor, Willie Obiano implementing the report; he championed the removal of Anglicans from the compound. We request all meaningful Nigerians to advice the governor not to start a war he cannot control while the nation is battling with the challenges of boko haram which is a religious war. A STITCH IN TIME SAVES NINE!