SENATOR MAO OHUBUNWA EMPOWER THE FOLLOWS BETTER CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETY MEMBERS IN ABIA NORTH SENATORIAL ZONE THROUGH HIS CONSTITUTENCY PROJECTS IN 2018
Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission (ICPC) and Foundation for Environmental , Advocacy and Development (FENRAD) A Civil Society organizations in Collaboration with Action Aid embarked on constituency projects monitoring in Abia North Senatorial zone under the Constituency Projects Tracking Phase II of the ICPC,FENRAD/ Action Aid/. The Essence of this Monitoring is to Evaluate the project and track the impact on the constituent of the Five local Government Areas in Abia North Senatorial Zone namely Bende,Ohafia,Arochukwu, Isukwuato, Umunneochi Local Government in Abia State for the year 2018 when Senator Mao Ohubunwa represented the zone in the National Assembly.
The Monitoring team was made up of Mr. Uche Okoli, Senior Special Assistant to the former Senator, Mr. Felix Ukpabi Personal Assistant to the former senator representing the Abia North Senatorial Zone, Obi Steven/ Mr. Victor of the ICPC, comrade Nelson Nnanna Nwafor, the Executive Director of FENRAD, comrade Nnamdi Elewachi, Director for media & Communication FENRAD , Mr. Owoh Uche of the Nigerian institute of Quantity Surveyors , Mr. Ukeme Jacob of Action Aid Abuja and Constituency Executive Projects Tracking Unit (CEPTU) which was equally represented in the team that monitored the Phase 2 of ICPC Constituency Projects Tracking .
The Monitoring Team on 2nd and 3rd July 2020 visited the Five Local Government Areas of Abia North senatorial zone to monitor the constituency projects /Empowerment of the constituency by former Senator Mao Ohubunwa in the year 2018 when he was in the National Assembly through the follow me better cooperative supported by SMEDAN.
On 2nd/ 3rd of July 2020 The Team Visited, Bende, Ohafia and Isikwuato, Arochukwu & Umunneochi LGA. At BENDE LGA the Team meets a crowd of participants of Follow Better Project empowerment of the former senator. Mao Ohubunwa Mr. Steve Obi of the ICPC seized the moment to brief the participants on the essence of the visit. The aim was to ensure that the constituents feel the direct impact of constituency projects of their representatives from various constituency allocations. From across the participants, opinions were sampled and findings recorded. The Team interacted with the community members. There were over thirty beneficiaries and participants, men, women and youth whom questions were asked and observations and feedbacks taken.
Mr. Chinedum Friday the programme coordinator, also a beneficiary, of Follow Better project of the senator in Bende L.G.A, Introduced his other co-participants all who received vocational training, cash incentives or machines and equipment.
• Mr. Chinedu Ifeanyi received generator set (Tiger brand) which he gave to his wife who operates a hair salon. Equally was a deep freezer given to Mr. Chinedu’s wife by the senator with “money for fuel” subsequently?
Chinedu feels joyed to remark that the items received under the Follow Better constituency projects of the senator have had a positive impact on their livelihood and living.
• Mrs. Nkiru Onyebuchi though not a seamstress, received a sewing machine which she gave to her sister. To her, life is better as the recipient (her sister) is now busy and engaged.
• Ms Happiness Nweke received a grinding machine which has, to her, added value to her life, even though she still retained her business of selling bags.
• Mr. Onwubiko Chinedum was among the first set of people trained on various vocations at Ohafia. Empowered with 20,000 after training, Mr. Onwubiko whose shop is located along Amankwo now install solar panel, a skill he learnt under the programme and has today empowered others too.
• Mrs. Nkechinyere Emenike was among the second batch of the vocational trainees who got chicks for poultry with additional cash incentive of N25,000 which she diverted to other ends since the chicks, according to her, was stolen.
• Mr. Sunday Nwankwo who got empowered with a motorcycle tells FENRAD and the team he now has a tricycle (Keke) which he bought with proceed from his motorcycle.
• A certain Joseph Obike who got N30,000 tells Nnamdi Elekwachi of FENRAD he is into coconut oil manufacture, a small scale manufacturing.
This is the Breakdown of the beneficiary of the Follow me Better Cooperative in the SENATOR MAO OHUABUNWA SKILLS ACQUISITION TRAINING AND EMPOWERMENT PROJECT IN PARTNERSHIP WITH SMEDAN FOR ABIA NORTH SENATORIAL DISTRICT
- BENDE LGA; 30 Beneficiaries, most of them got vocational training empowerment, cash incentives or machines and equipment.
- Arochukwu LGA; 40 Beneficiaries Most of them got Vocational Training on Fishery, Poultry, Barbing Salon, while some got equipments, motorcycle, Generators and motor vehicles
- Ohafia LGA ; 30 beneficiaries
- Isuikwato LGA; 40 Beneficiaries
- Umunneochi LGA; 50 Beneficiaries
LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREAS & BREAKDOWN OF THE EQUIPMENT DISTRIBUTED ACROSS THE SENATORIAL ZONE
S/N ITEMS ARO BENDE ISU3OHAFIA ISUOCHI TOTAL
- Grinding Machine (5 per ward) 55 65 50 55 60 285
- Hairy Dryer (5 per ward) 55 65 50 55 60 285
- Sewing Machine (5 per ward) 55 65 50 55 60 285
- Hair Clippers (5 per ward) 110 130 100 110 120 570
- Small Generator (4 per ward) 44 52 40 44 48 228
- Big Generator (2 per ward) 22 26 20 22 24 114
- Day Old-chicks (88 bags per ward) 968 1,144 880 968 1,056 5,000
- Small Gas burner/Cylinder
(88 per ward) 968 1,144 880 968 1,056 5,000
- Bags of poultry feeds (35 bags per ward) 385 420 350 385 420 2,000
- Exercise books (500 books per ward) 550 6,500 5,000 550 6,000 28,500
METHOD OF DISTRIBUTION
Number of LGAs = 5
Arochukwu LGA = 11 Wards
Bende LGA = 13 Wards
Isuikwuato LGA = 10 Wards
Ohafia LGA = 11 Wards
Umunneochi LGA = 12 Wards
Total Number of Federal Wards = 57 Wards
OTHER ITEMS DISTRIBUTED AT THE LGA LEVEL
- Tricycle 15 (3 per LGA)
- Motorcycle 15 (3 per LGA)
- Sewing Machine 25 (5 per LGA)
- Big Generator 15 (to different LGAs)
S/N RECIPIENTS ITEM RECIEVED
1 Felix Ukpabi Toyota Sienna
- Nduka Collins Ochonma Toyota Sienna
- Samuel Okoroafor Mitsubishi L300 Bus
- Priscilla Umeham Toyota Sienna
- Eke Anya Toyota Sienna
- Goodluck Emeribe (Akwaja) Toyota Sienna
- Ndubuisi Awah Passat Wagon
- Richard Agbadogo Toyota Sienna
- Chinedu Igboko Mitsubishi L 300 Bus
- John Okocha Mitsubishi L 300 Bus
- Nworisara Nduaka Mitsubishi L 300 Bus
- Anthony Nwankwo Mitsubishi L 300 Bus
- Crownwell Ijeoma PICK UP
- Okwuobasi Okereke Toyota Sienna
- Orunta Amadi-Obi Toyota Sienna
- Igwe Ezelu Toyota Sienna
- Ogbonnaya Okereke Mitsubishi L300
FENRAD Appreciate the former senator for such empowerments as they are commendable and aimed at empowering constituents to be self reliance and represent equitable Representation.
The Monitoring Team commended the Former senator for the Empowerment for such a laudable efforts of carrying along his constituents during his stay in the National Assembly.
This tracking and monitoring exercise is in tandem and represents FENRAD’s position on open governance and accountability with principles of Open Government Partnership and Participatory Governance in place in Abia State.
Comrade Nelson Nnanna Nwafor
Foundation For Environmental Rights,Advocacy & Development(FENRAD)
Plot 101 Jubilee Road,By mosque Street, 2nd Floor,Front ,Aba,Abia State.
SOUTHEAST REGIONAL OFFICE;
Plot 11/13 Ezillo Avenue,Independence Layout,Enugu,Enugu State;
Email;[email protected],[email protected] [email protected] [email protected] Skype;