Onitsha fire destroy property worth millions

An 83-year-old woman was on Tuesday night rescued from a fire outbreak that razed a 12-bedroom bungalow in Onitsha, Anambra State, where she resided.

The apartment, located on the  No. 36 New Market road Onitsha, was said to have gone into flames following an explosion.

Our correspondent  learnt that property worth millions of naira as well as documents of the occupants were lost to the fire.

A resident who identified himself as Ebuka said the explosion occurred when an elderly occupant of the building put on a stove.

“He had bought  kerosene suspected to be adulterated which he poured inside the stove and lit it when suddenly it exploded,” Ebuka stated.

ALSO READ  Obi as Atiku’s VP, Excellent Choice—PDP women

Another occupant of the bungalow, Mr Chukwudi Nwankwo, said he lost property worth over N6m to the fire.

He said, “I equally lost several documents, certificates and NYSC discharge certificates of three of my children.”

He wondered what would become of the family having lost all their belongings to the inferno.

A victim, Mr Obinna Ikah, thanked the youth of the area who he said helped in putting out the fire and rescuing the 83-year-old woman who was inside the building during the inferno.

Ikah said, “The fire could have affected other buildings if not for the timely intervention of the youths. We thank God that no life was lost in the inferno.”

ALSO READ  Prostitutes on the run in Anambra, Police raid joint