The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) says it has recovered 12 bodies after Boko Haram terrorists attacked a farm in Borno State.
The North East zonal coordinator of the agency, Mr Bashir Garga, confirmed this in a statement on Sunday.
He said the civilian JTF in the area disclosed that the insurgents hacked 12 farmers to death on Saturday as they worked on their fields in the state.
The statement read, “The insurgents allegedly came in two trucks and attacked the farmers with machetes outside Kalle, village 17 kilometres outside the state capital Maiduguri.
“They used machetes to kill their victims who were working on their farms. So far, we have recovered 12 dead bodies from the fields and nearby bush. Three people were injured in the raids.”
According to Garga, the militants could have shot the farmers dead but did not use their guns, so as not to attract the attention of troops in nearby Molai village.
He decried that Boko Haram has stepped up attacks on farmers and loggers in the state in recent years, accusing them of passing information on the group to the military.
The NEMA official revealed that Dala Malari, Fuguri, and Femari, all communities in Jere Local Government Area of the state were similarly attacked by suspected Boko Haram insurgents on Saturday.
He added that one person was killed and while over a thousand people were displaced.
Garga, therefore, called on residents to be vigilant and report suspicious movements and persons to the security agencies.
He stressed that attacks on soft targets have become the hallmark of the insurgents due to increased military clampdown that has curtailed their activities.
He also assured the victims of the attacks that humanitarian partners were already mobilising to cater for them.