Panic, As University Hostel Goes Up In Flame


Burnt part of the hostel

Two-storey Post Graduate Hostel in Campus 3 of the Delta State University (DELSU) Abraka was engulfed in a fire in the middle of the night yesterday.

According to eyewitnesses, the fire started at about 1:04 am and had brought down not less than 10 rooms; from the first and second floors, before help arrived.


There were, however, no casualties in the fire, which was said to have been caused by an electrical mishap.

According to a student simply identified as Samson, residents of the hostel quickly called for help when the fire started.

The electricity of the hostel was put off immediately to avoid further damages. The fire service arrived shortly and with the combined efforts of both the boys of the medical hostel, the executive hostel and some other able-bodied men around, the fire was put out,” Samson, an eyewitness said

ALSO READ  NasPoly : Coperative members, exco before EFCC, over financial palava.

However, students’ properties were destroyed by the flames which were put out at about 3:40 am by the varsity’s fire service.

The Vice-Chancellor and other staff of the university including the Red Cross Society were reported to have been on the ground in a bid to manage any emergency.

The incident which was confirmed by the DELSU Public Relations Officer, Mr. Eddy Agbure, was described as a “colossal damage”.

What are your thoughts?

%d bloggers like this: