Good morning!, Welcome to Odogwublog.com. Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The Kano State Public Complaints and Anti-Corruption Agency, on Thursday kicked off in earnest, investigation into the alleged financial management of the Kano Emirate Council fund under Emir Muhammadu Sanusi. The commission had invited the Secretary of the Kano Emirate Council, Alhaji Isa Bayero, and three others to appear before it. But Alhaji Isa Bayero, who was grilled for about an hour behind closed doors by the agency personnel told the media that he was confronted with some documents for which he requested for time to study and return back to the investigators.
2. Management of the Kwara State University (KWASU), Malete has shut down the university indefinitely. This was disclosed in a statement signed by the deputy vice-chancellor, Professor Sakah Mahmud, on Thursday. The Action was taken following ultimatum by the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) on Wednesday to the state government on the appointment of an acting vice chancellor for the university, where they condemned the directive given to the vice-chancellor, Professor Abdulrasheed Na’Allah, to proceed on terminal leave before expiration of his tenure in July 2019.
3. The Lagos State Police Command said its men have exhumed four bodies dumped in a septic tank in Ikorodu for autopsy. The Command’s Spokesperson, DSP Bala Elkana, said in a statement that the bodies were recovered following a report of two Bureau-de-Change operators who went missing on March 14.
4. The Appeal Court sitting in Abuja Thursday declared Governor Gboyega Oyetola as the winner of last year’s gubernatorial election in Osun State. A five-member panel of the appeal court led by Justice Jummai Sankey delivered the lead judgement which favoured Governor Oyetola on the grounds that the tribunal’s ruling read by Justice Peter Obiora amounted to judicial hearsay because he did not participate fully in the proceedings of the Tribunal. The Appeal Court also said that the entire proceeding leading to tribunal’s judgement could not stand because of its “faulty composition.”
5. Sen. Ademola Adeleke, the Peoples Democratic Party’s (PDP) candidate in the 2018 governorship election in Osun State has instructed his counsels to challenge the appeal court judgement which upheld Gov. Gboyega Oyetola’s election at the Supreme Court. Adeleke, in a statement, said he received the appeal court judgement with dissatisfaction. According to him, the judgment of the appeal court relied on weak technical foundation, while the substantive issue, which formed the basis of the lower tribunal judgement was relegated to the background.
6. The Federal Government, on Thursday, confirmed the arrest of principal suspects in the abduction of the District Head of Daura in Katsina State, Alhaji Musa Umar. The Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas, confirmed the arrest of principal suspects implicated in the incident, while addressing State House correspondents at the end of a security meeting at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
7. The Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas, on Thursday said the security meeting presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari was basically meant to brief the president on the security situation after his short vacation abroad. Addressing State House correspondents at the end of the security meeting, Ibas said that the security agencies briefed him on what had been happening across the country with particular emphasis on the proliferation of small arms and what they were doing to curtail the consequences. The President has also given directives that the agencies should do more to ensure that Nigerians go to bed and wake up feeling healthy and confident that their security is guaranteed.
8. The Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige has said that he and his neighbours are considering taking legal action against the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) over the blockage of their houses by the union. Ngige, who spoke with State House correspondents on Thursday said blocking his house was an infringement on his fundamental human rights and that of his household as they were all traumatised.
9. The People’s Democratic Party, PDP, has disclosed that it will proceed to the Supreme Court to challenge the verdict of the Appeal Court given in favour of Gboyega Oyetola of the All Progressives Congress, APC, as winner of the Osun 2018 governorship election. This was contained in a statement signed by the PDP’s Vice Chairman, Eddy Olafeso, where he said that the party expressed shock over the outcome of the appeal.
10. President Muhammdu Buhari Thursday nominated the Central Bank Governor, Mr. Godwin Emefiele, for a second term. This was contained in a letter nominating the CBN governor for another term to the Senate President in line with the CBN Act. Saraki read out the letter at Thursday plenary.