The Chairman of the NUJ Anambra State Council, Comrade Odogwu Emeka Odogwu, Ph. presided.
In his opening remarks, he commended members for turning up in good numbers to the congress despite other official government activities going on almost at the same time in the state. He encouraged journalists who are practicing but not members of any chapel to promptly identify with the Awka Federated Chapel and pay their membership dues.
The Chairman announced that a committee will be set up to take charge of the welfare of retired/veteran members. He said the committee will be superintended by either a former chairman or former secretary of the union.
Some of the issues resolved at the September congress as captured by the Communique drafting committee were, as well as addemdum from the union:
- Congress commended the Council leadership led by Comrade Odogwu Emeka Odogwu, Ph.D for their doggedness and fight for the welfare of the staff of defunct National Light Newspapers, published by Anambra Newspapers and Printing Corporation, ANPC and ensuring that the staff were absorbed into other ministries. Congress commended the NLC ,and TUC and other affiliate unions of the Trade union centers for their solidarity in that regards. Congress commeded the government of Anambra state led by Prof Charles Chukwuma Soludo for keeping to his words of complete absorbing of the staff of the defunct National Light Newspapers. Congress appreciated the Head of Service of Anambra State, Barr Theodora Okwy Igwegbe, mni for her diligence.
- Congress welcomed newest NUJ Patrons: Hon.Comrade Azubike Damian Cosmas Imoka (Okwuoto Agulu),
Founder and CEO of ADC Imoka Agro Allied Industries, makers of ADC Imoka stone free and long grain rice,.Publisher of Ozisigbago media; And
Dr. Jane Nkolika Ezeonu, FWACP
Consultant Public Health Physician and Chairman Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) Anambra State Branch
- Congress commended the initiative to celebrate elders/veteran members of the union for their varying valuable contributions to the advancement of the media profession and service to society. It also proposed another future gathering for discussions on the way to move the union and profession forward, engaging the veterans and elderly extensively.
- Congress supported the idea of incorporating mentorship and technical sessions in the NUJ monthly congress to enable members especially the young journalists grow and have better mastery of the job in the state.
- Congress re-echoed the need to immortalize departed members who died in active service like Tochukwu Udeoji and Ifeoma Anumba, by naming something in the Secretariat after them like Tochukwu Udoji NUJ hall, Ifeoma Anumba NUJ kitchen etc, even as congress approved for a day to be set aside to celebrate NUJ patron and benefactor, Godwin Ezeemo, Achinagbaloha Umuchu, Aguatalocalgovernmentarea for building the NUJ Press center singlehandedly.
- Congress expressed concern over the activities of revenue agents who parade themselves in the streets, harassing and intimidating the poor masses in the process. It appealed to the state government to caution and call the agents to order and to employ civility in the discharge of their duties.
- Congress commended the state government for it’s committed attempt to improve the aesthetics of the state, and urged the government not to push the citizenry to hunger, but to be sensitive to their plights and welfare amidst the economic hardship.
- Congress commeded Hon Arnold Chukwuebuka Ekweoba, the MD/CEO of Arnold and Associates Ltd, real estate giant for his partnership in sponsoring NUJ Media Games 2023 and assurances to train journalists in real estate, as well as the traditional ruler of Umueri, Igwe Benneth Emeka, MD/CEO of New Idea construction company for sponsoring the novelty match between NUJ Anambra team and Catholic priests in Awka and Ekwulobia dioceses which ended 1-1.
- Congress further commeded the Prof Charles Chukwuma Soludo led government for the new openings advertised for employment of Health workers and, even promise of more opening for teachers employment ,and appealed to him to birth a new digital National Light Newspapers to have opening for journalists to be employed too like others , even as congress appealed for a massive upgrade of the Anambra State Broadcasting Service, ABS to be in DSTV and all pay as you go Channels like other State Broadcasting organizations in the country.
- Congress asked the state government to ensure the dry season setting in is used to complete so many roads flagged off during the rainy season for a smooth ride during the yuletide fast approaching. Congress advised that contractors be properly supervised to avoid channeling flood water wrongly into peoples homes as have been witnessed across the state to reduce man made Calamity and disasters associated with such as well as prevent man made gullies that culminate threatening erosion menace. Congress requests that flood channels by contractors should target to empty into stream and river channels to reduce self inflicted disasters.
September congress Communique Drafting committee
Comrade Odogwu Emeka Odogwu, PhD
Chairman NUJ Anambra State Council
Comrade Aloysius Ofodile KSJI