On the 19/01/19 at about 3pm,there was a report that Youths of Umuemu Anam community in Anambra West LGA using a bush path went to the farm camp of neighbouring Nzam community also in the same Local Government and allegedly set ablaze their thatched houses and yam seedlings.
- Consequently, in a swift reaction ,Youths of Nzam community also mobilised using speed boats and went to the farm camp of Umuemu community, set ablaze houses and properties value of which are still unknown as well as firing sporadic gunshots in the Air.
- This may not be unconnected with a protracted land dispute between both communities.
- Following the report, Joint Patrol teams comprising of the Police, the Army and other Sister agencies were immediately deployed to the area to restore order and arrest perpetrators of the unfortunate incidents.
- Meanwhile, situation was brought under control,two suspects have been arrested and intensive patrols are ongoing by combined Security Forces to restore lasting peace in the affected Communities.
- However, No loss of lives and no casualty recorded.
- The Commissioner of Police Anambra State Command CP Garba Baba Umar has ordered for a full scale investigation to determine the circumstances surrounding the incident and bring perpetrators to Justice.
- The Public are enjoined to go about their lawful businesses and report any suspicious persons or movements to the nearest Police Station or call the Police emergency number 07039194332 for prompt action please.
SP Haruna Mohammed PPRO Anambra State Police Command,
For -Commissioner of Police Anambra State Command.